Tuesday, May 06, 2008



Yes, it's Tuesday. Yes, I VOTED! Yes, I encourage you to GET OUT AND VOTE!!! But, we've talked about that, haven't we? I think you have heard enough about that, kids, now, haven't you? I mean, really? Seriously, if you don't know that this election is about the difference between the same old Washington politics as usual and A NEW BEGINNING (yes, Obi-Wan), well, I don't know what to tell you.

Enough of that....I have something else to talk to you about today. Something called.....IRON MAN.

We went to see this on Sunday. I have never been a big comic book reader, but I do love me some action movies. No girly-girly chick flicks for me. No frilly romance crapola, no Sex in the City or 257 Dresses or Calgon Take me Away or what have you....give me a muscle man and stuff that blows up and guns and chicks and fire trucks and hookers and booze and all the things that make life worth living for!!!!!! Oh, wait, that was "Bachelor Party." Oh, yeah, I love that movie, too. Anyway, I love action movies. I love Robert Downey Jr. and I am happy as hell to see him in a good role. I have been seeing the trailers for this FOREVER and waiting........and waiting......and waiting........

So, Sunday, we go. You can't say too much bad about a superhero movie that
a) starts with a trailer for "The Dark Knight" which looks amazing...sad, but amazing. Next trailer? A surprisingly good-looking "Hulk." Edward Norton? Liv Tyler? TIM ROTH???? ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME??????? I am in just on the basis of Tim Roth! And, finally......"Indiana Jones and the....whatever...." who cares what the frickin' title is. He still looks great, sounds wise-ass, Cate Blanchett is phenomenal and they had me at the hat on the ground. I'm in; and
b) starts the movie with Humvees driving thru the desert to AC/DC's "Back in Black" (the theme to my senior year in high school---'82 rules!!!) while our hero drinks a scotch in the back of said Hummer. SOLD!

It just gets better from there. Even the usual nausea-inducing Gwyneth Paltrow didn't look pale and emaciated and make me want to stick her head back in that box. Even Terrance Howard was ok. But RDJ? He was FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC! Seriously. Apparently, there was a lot of improv going on, and he kicked at it. It was his idea to have the reporters sit in one scene (very cool). His asides say alot about his character.

It's just a great, great movie. Not just a great SUMMER movie, but a well-written, well-acted, well-directed movie. Lots of fun. Oh, and stay till after the credits....I didn't, but found out later. I guess after the monster opening this had, they are already talking about Iron Man 2, to come out in 2010. RDJ is crazy to do lots more of these, and I hope he can. He totally owns this character...he can obviously use a lot of his own experience in Tony Stark's struggles. He's a very human hero, something we can relate to right now.

At any rate, see it. Enjoy it. Have some popcorn or a pretzel or some M & M's and just have a great time at a movie. Forget about gas prices and voting and layoffs and all that crap for 2 hours and enjoy yourself! We did!!!!

No comments: