Thursday, November 06, 2008

Even after such a wonderful election victory, there is still much farther to go. I told my children that I wanted to say, following the election, that I was so proud of everyone.....but I couldn't. The hatred and fear shown during McCain's speech, the ignorance of all those states who voted to continue to treat the GLBT community as second-class citizens or worse, is inexcusable.

I do believe that as President, Barack Obama will reach out to the gay community more than any other official in history. My heart goes out to Jody, to all my friends, and to all those children in Arkansas who may remain in foster care or worse because they are being denied loving parents, to all those in California, Arizona, and Florida who are being denied the right to love, and live, just like their "straight" counterparts.

As the old Virginia Slims ads used to say, "We've come a long way, baby," but it's obvious we have a much longer way ahead. However, I think Nov. 4, 2008 will be recognized as the beginning of the end for discrimination across the board.

No comments: